Friday, March 27, 2009

It's a Brave New World, Baby

On to the future.
The shock has worn off enough that it is now possible to imagine a less dramatic future--one that doesn't involve open campfires by the railroad tracks. There's been enough time to look around and see that other people who have faced worse financial catastrophes have survived. Some even came out better, over the long run.
So it's time to put the lamentations away and come up with an action plan.
The biggest question I have to face is whether I'll be able to afford to continue to teach piano. The economy hasn't been any kinder to piano teachers than it has to other occupations. When people don't have enough money to buy instruments, that kind of limits piano students to those who already have one in the family. So the teaching business is not exactly in expansion mode right now.
I've been steadily adding students after hitting a low last year, but this is not the kind of thing that will make up a pay cut as big as we're facing.
Still, my studio is a business and you can't just abruptly drop your own business so you can take that new job on Monday. It wouldn't be fair or kind to the kids who've been with me or are just starting out and are expecting to play in my recital in a few weeks.
Let's also add that I like teaching. I like the kids, I like the music. It's rewarding to see them go off to college with such a good artistic outlet. I like the fact that I've been able to be at home when my own kids got off school.
I guess I've answered my own question here: Unless the sheriff's paper servers come a knocking, I'll keep my studio to the bitter end. Thanks, Muse o' the Blog.
The question is, what else will I do?

There are a lot of options of course. But, if I'm going to string two jobs together into one unholy-long work day, then I want my new career to be at least fun. So in the spirit of modern high school guidance counseling, I've listed my interests and am in the process of coming up with some ideas.
Interests, that's easy. Food, music, nature, soccer, swearing, firearms. Not necessarily in that order.
Here are some "dream" jobs I've come up with so far:

Huntress--Ever noticed how many communities are having problems with critters these days?
Deer plow into innocent vehicles, geese crap in the picnic area, cougars carry off little doggies. We need a few huntresses, is all I'm saying. Back in the day, you could make a nice bit of coin off bounties for wolves and mountain lions. Why not bring them back?
Of course there'd be some overhead. I'd have to buy a license and maybe another gun or two. But what the hey, how many guns is too many?


Gypsy moth collector--This is an actual job appearing on Craig's list. The description says you drive around in all kinds of weather setting and checking traps for the dreaded ecosystem destroyer. Along the way, you also give educational presentations about the program.

The drawback: $11.74 an hour. Also this sentence, "Work may involve trapping for other various agricultural pests." I hear that large snakes escaped from pet stores in Florida may be moving this way. Otherwise, I'd totally do it.

Priestess--New religions spring up all the time. I still think those dolphins are onto something. Perhaps they know when the space aliens are coming to reclaim the earth.





Glass instrument maker--One of the fun and slightly geeky things you learn if you do experimental art music is that there are all kinds of instruments out there. A friend of mine once did an electronic piece that involved breaking all kinds of glass and recording the sound. And there's a whole orchestra in Toronto, that plays concerts only on glass instruments. (Understandably, they don't travel much. You know how airlines can be with baggage.)

Gravy reviewer--Not the whole restaurant. Just the gravy. I loves my gravy.

I'm sure I'll eventually think up a few more. But I gotta get going now, doing some job hunting instead of writing in this blog.

No comments: