Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Exorcise Your Wrongs


If you're out seeking advice on how to have a better attitude, as I am, sooner or later you'll come upon an expert who tells you to exercise.
No one knows how it helps, but apparently doctors all over tell their patients with depression and anxiety that they'll do better with a little physical activity. It activates endorphins or promotes well being or some damn thing.
Don't get me wrong. I'm completely on board and, as something of a life-long Droopy McFrown Face, I can tell you that it does work. I've done aerobics, running, biking, swimming, blah blah blah for years. It does keep you from sinking too far. God only knows what I'd be like if I hadn't been doing these things, as anyone who knows me can attest.
So I know the importance of this. But I've found that hard times--or even the fear of hard times to come--can do weird things to the best of exercise intentions.
Last week, for example, I thought it would lift my spirits to run outdoors. When the outdoor season ended last fall, I considered three miles a short run and had worked myself up to eight miles for a long one. Since I continued to run at the gym, I figured I was still good for at least a 3 or a 4-mile run with little problems.
What a surprise then, that each time I went out, my easiest (read most downhill) courses routinely kicked my ass. I would start at what I thought was a moderate speed, only to find that around mile 2 plus, I had overrun my pace and become so completely winded I had to walk a bit. Then I would crank up again and--again--have to start and stop through the last mile.
My one time in the weight room wasn't any better. I blasted through weights I'd previously struggled with, but then leave feeling drained, not rejuvenated.
That was when I had enough moxie to exercise at all. More often, I thought about going, then just stayed home, preferring to sit and ponder what the next bad thing will be.
Today was shaping up to be more of the same. My husband went in early, but by the time he came back with the car, I was whining about feeling sick and wallowing in negative thoughts about the future. Mike, who is used to my little "despair seizures" reverted back to his role as optimist.
Yeah, I did go. The weights went a little more evenly. And CNBC was sure sounding positive about things as I walked the elliptical. This time, I didn't listen to that voice telling me good market news will hurt me. I may even have figured a couple of things out.
So here's to exercise. I highly recommend it.

The following are some funny exercise videos I found. Enjoy!






This last one takes a minute to get into, but it's well worth it.




Admit it. You did those faces along with her. You couldn't resist.

No comments: