Monday, February 15, 2010

Garden-variety optimism

I wasn't really planning for a lesson in optimism when I took off this weekend for the Metropolitan Lawn and Garden Show. Yes, as exhibitors Mike and I would get to walk around the show for free. But it would also mean the whole weekend spent sitting in a booth for hours, not getting any chores done or any movies watched.
So when we pulled into the parking lot that first day, I'll admit, I did not think I would leave feeling more happy and optimistic unless we sold a ton of books.
We did sell some books--but not the huge numbers I expected I'd need to feel like life is looking up, Nevertheless, here I sit, feeling better about things than I have in a long time.
This is partly because of the people who stopped by and partly because of Ed Begley, Jr.

First, the people. A steady stream stopped by to see us, and they ran the gamut from potential first-time gardeners to long time growers with years of experience and many great tips. The
common thread, though, was a passion for plants and an interest in living more sustainably.
Just knowing that all those people are out there really did a lot to raise my spirits. As a Kansas Citian of 25 years, I've listened to the steady drip of negativity from people who would have you believe this area is hostile to conservationists and low-carbon footprints and anything else that could be tied to so-called "Hollywood elite liberals." If you listen to this long enough, you begin to believe that you are all alone.
But the truth is, a lot of people are coming to realize that it's in their own best interest to save money on energy and food, and that these sustainable methods are going to help them do it.
Begley, who has become at least as well known as a conservationist as an actor, talked several times each day. Mike and I and our son caught three different ones, and all the chairs were filled, with a lot of people standing around the edges. Turns out plenty of people believe as I do after all.

While we're on the subject of Begley, his message was also optimistic. One of his points was that we should feel good about the progress that's been made so far on clean air and clean water, to name a couple of things. And it's true. It's easy to feel hopeless with all the bad that's happened. The lesson for me--the pessimistic perfectionist--was that you need to celebrate your victories to give yourself strength for the next thing.

Anyway, we're big fans of Begley. So much so that I nerved my introverted self up to shake hands and give him a copy of our book. Yes, yes. Just like the awkward fan geek you know I am.

No comments: