Friday, October 16, 2009

It's Here


Top of the list of things that cheer me up this week:
We have a book. It's no longer just in our imaginations. It's a real, concrete thing you can hold in your hands.
After thinking about it and planning it and worrying about it for months, it is now, miraculously, off the press and available for sale. I'd compare this to childbirth, but that would be trite (and anyway, childbirth is much, much more painful. No contest.)
Mike made the short trip over to the warehouse yesterday and picked up copies of Mike & Roxie's Vegetable Paradise so we could have some to show--and hopefully sell--at our booth in the Lenexa Chili Challenge this weekend.
I should be tap dancing on the tabletop, right?
But honestly, I feel a little...freaked out. It's been a long time since the last time I worked in the print media. My freelancing pretty much ended in the 1990s. In the time since, I've watched Mike's column and seen how people--some people--discuss things in the 2000s. And it doesn't encourage me to change any of my natural hermit tendencies.
Can we do a garden how-to book without death threats? I guess I'll find out. But it does feel good to have it out there. And hopefully it will entertain a few people and help some others get started on their own vegetable gardens.
The warehouse just got them yesterday, so they'll be in stores (the two that I know of are the Kansas City Store and Borders) in a few more days. But they're available online at The Kansas City Store right now. And of course, if you stop by the Chili Challenge, we'll sign you a copy.

No comments: