Friday, October 23, 2009

Do Not Pass Go


It's all too easy to be glum about the way things have gone this year. But as it's Friday and the beginning of another beautiful weekend, I'd rather end on a happy note of gratitude.
Yes, that's right. I'm grateful that my prayers, such as they are, are being answered.
Back when another administration had just won it's second term and I was a little less jaded about church, I used to pray. I didn't pray for specific election results, or particular things to pass or fail in Washington. I didn't pray for public officials (or Supreme Court justices) to die. I'd just, once in a while, pray that the true character of elected officials would be revealed and that the people would take note. That left room for me being wrong.
And, as the term went on, my prayer was answered--event after character-revealing event. We had hurricanes and financial meltdowns (not that I'd ever pray for any of these things) and the officials reactions were noted.
I don't pray as often these days, but when I do, it's still the same prayer. And it's been making me nervous lately. Sure, we've had the push for health care reform. But it was beginning to look like the true character of this administration was to hand over everyone's money to the upper crust and trust in the same, sorry old "trickle down" theory that got us into so much trouble in the first place.
So I was heartened this week when the White House demanded 50 percent pay cuts and caps on benefits for the top management running companies that got so much government bailout money.
(Here's a story on Bloomberg.com.)
At last, evidence of a spine. Despite the fact that, just the day before, Goldman Sachs International adviser Brian Griffiths made news for defending the obscene pay packages the financial industry was preparing to shower on it's top earners. Sachs suggested banks make larger charitable contributions (a public relations ploy to salvage their reputations, I suppose.).
And he went on to say:
“It was the failed moral compass of bankers which was primarily responsible for why we had this crisis,” he said. “The question is: what can we do in the culture of institutions to make them behave in a more socially responsible way?” (whole story here)
Failed moral compass? Really?
If you want to see where these guy's moral compasses have been the past decade, check out this depressing chart of Wall Street bonuses versus average annual pay in the Huffington Post.
I've always wondered at the affinity that certain Christian church leaders have for laissez-faire capitalism. Considering that money changers, rich people and hypocrites were often sore points with Jesus, why is unrestrained capitalism the only economy accepted by them?
Capitalism has no moral compass, beyond self interest. Just ask Ayn Rand. The only point of capitalism is to make money, pure and simple. If that means using tax money of the strapped middle class for a second home, or throwing out a worker because his illness costs your company too much, so be it. Moral compasses are for clerics and philosophers.
So Pres. Obama. Keep it up.
Oh, and here's a great screed from Bob Herbert earlier this week in the New York Times.

No comments: