Monday, September 28, 2009

Life is GOOD

Not much time today, so I'll devote it to sharing something I found in my search for good in the blogosphere. The site is called GOOD, and is, in the editors' view, "a collaboration of individuals, businesses, and nonprofits pushing the world forward."
It's categories: design, politics (with a decidedly environmentalist bent), food, people, business, the environment and money. There is apparently a magazine involved in some way, but you can join the site and start posting for free.
This is not the typical "good news" site. It doesn't concentrate only on happy endings, but on outreach and on doing good in the world. I guess this is why it so appeals to me. I'd so much rather be taking action than pondering my own shortcomings and apparent inability to be happy.
Today when I looked, someone has posted an idea for happiness--posting thankful thought every other day. Hmmm... Maybe there's another idea to try.

...Ice cream Solidarity

It's not often you feel the advertising language on the outside of an ice cream carton putting you in solidarity with your brothers and sisters. But such was the case for me this weekend as I did the bi-weekly grocery shopping.
I was looking for ice cream--one small luxury we still can afford--and I came across this flavor from Edys. "Red, white and no more blues." And on a small campaign-style button below "recovery never tasted so good."
Awww. I'm not sure what drew me in to this. Maybe it was the unusual acknowledgement by a big food company that some of us might be down in the dumps. When you hear a business exec talking about the economic problems of the masses, it's usually in money terms only. Do some of them realize this also causes sadness? My God, that's a breakthrough!
In any case, I'm ashamed to admit I fell for it just like the sucker they figured me for. Mmmmm. Blueberry and strawberry swirl.


No comments: