Saturday, February 14, 2009

Hooray, I lose

Photobucket

I don't usually think of losing as something that causes a sense of well being. Does anybody?
But today I'd like to dispense with the usual caustic comments about life to indulge in a fluffy, cuddly moment because--well because it's Valentine's Day.
Every Feb. 14, my husband and I engage in a subtle contest. Oh, neither of us likes to admit it's a contest, but it is. He takes me out to eat one year; I contrive an elaborate meal in the next. I get him a card; he gets a better card. I forget (yes, that's happened); he sends flowers. He always wins, though.
This year, I vowed to be more on my game. I started groceries and weekend errands Friday, and in a bold masterstroke, managed to clean up on little Valentinettes that were marked way down. (Valentinettes--copyright 2009--are the tiny stuffed bears, boxes of six candies and other gimcracks people buy who are too cash-strapped to go to Jared's. BTW, if you use this word, now you have to pay me.) Besides getting Valentines for my husband and daughter, I managed to keep the car out of reach for any shopping he might do. I know this isn't really fair, but you know, a contest is a contest.
So when I returned from other errands today, I was fairly sure I did the best V-day this year. After all, we'd discussed the going-out-to-eat idea and decided we didn't have any budget for it this pay period.
Not so fast. On the piano, was a large folded piece of white construction paper with red hearts. Inside, a little poem made from small letters cut from magazines--ransom note style.
"You kidnapped my heart
So I ransomed my soul
I love you more than
You'll ever know."

Homemade card. Homemade poem. Game, set, match.

And here I spent my Valentine efforts picking up cheap sentiment from the store. What a loser!

So I lose once again. But I don't really mind. Because you know what? I loves ya, honey! Yeah Mike, I'm looking at you.
You won and there's nothing I can do about it.
Unless...does this post count?

Happy Valentine's Day.

1 comment:

Jean said...

Aaawww. Who thought the old guy would turn out to be such a romantic?

Roxie, I love your blog--you shoulda been a writer! It's every bit as fun as your Christmas letters, which always make me laugh out loud. It's been really fun connecting with the old Gateway/Nonpareil crowd--I've lost touch with so many of them! Call when you guys get up here to visit.

Tell Mike I'll keep my ears open for PR jobs for him. I just can't imagine that somehow... Sorry it's been such a stressful time, and I deeply admire your efforts at optimism!