Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Be Like Julio

By now you've no doubt seen this guy on your nightly news roundup:



Here he is with Keith Olberman on MSNBC, talking about his moment of glory as one called upon to answer a question from President Obama.
I bring him up because I am scouting about for optimist heroes to pattern myself after. I'm not talking about those sales guys who are always flaunting their expensive cars and gee-gaws to get you to sign up for their seminars. I mean real, common, everyday optimists.
It strikes me that Julio might be one. And I find that disturbing.
This is a guy who jumped up and down and screamed for the chance to ask that one last question at the town hall meeting. Then, when he got the spotlight he waved his hands in the air and babbled on in a kind of ecstasy. As the meeting ended and the crowd got to its feet, you could see him still leaping wildly in the back.
And if you clicked on this video, you heard his thoughts on succeeding.
It's tempting to laugh at this guy and his over-the-top emotions. He is just 19, after all. I know my first reaction was "this guy seems like a cartoon drawing of what an optimist is supposed to be."
Then again. He did get his wish to ask that last question. He did, as a result of the press coverage, get a chance at an internship in media. And people like him. At least I do.
Is he an optimist? Judging by his interviews, yeah, that would be my guess.
Was he successful? At least in the short term, he was.
Could I imitate him?
Not without electroshock therapy.
I was always "the quiet one" in school. I suppose I could try to transform myself into a Julio, but the enormity of the effort would probably kill me. Yet, judging by all the literature that urges you to believe in yourself, keep on pushing, etc., it seems that Julio conforms to many of the principles of positive thinking. Right down to that constant talk about being "blessed."
It's all very depressing. If being an optimist means I have to completely reverse my personality, all hope is lost.
I won't be able to be Julio. But at least I can amuse myself a little. Imagine if, you will, that everyone in that crowd became an optimist a la Julio. When Obama asked for questions, they all waved wildly, crying "Pick me! Pick me!" Befuddled by the ocean of arms and hands, Obama's gaze fell on a person standing quietly to one side, one finger upraised.
"Can you tell us how to be optimists, please?" she asked.

1 comment:

Sam Hendricks said...

Perhaps, in Julio's case, Ignorance is bliss?