Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A case of the Mondays

I was all set to write about an item I read in the Kansas City Star today headlined "Come on, baby boomers, Get Happy." I have all the links tabbed across the toolbar, ready to go. Because if there's anything that makes me want to bring the caustic, it's a rah-rah headline like that.
Sort of reminded me of that Office Space line, "Someone's got a case of the Mondays."
And it's here I veered a little off course. I went to YouTube, and typed in "case of the Mondays," to illustrate my point.
And came across this:




Have I been regretting the fact that I left cubicle land (which is increasingly what daily newspaper offices look like) to be at home with my kids? And that I now feel stuck and poor because there are no jobs and I've been out of the office workforce too long and nobody wants to hire anyone over 50?
I apologize. These films, apparently from security cameras, really bring back the memories. The desk pounding, the wastebasket kicking, the obscenities. We never had any actual fighting, though a couple of guys had some finger-poking-on-chest action over semantics. (Are you calling me an a**hole? No, I said don't be an a**hole.)
Ah yes, I remember the anger. It's funny to look back on, but was absolutely no fun at the time. That part, I don't miss at all.
So, despite my intention to blast away at Amy Sheridan's piece on baby boomers, I ended up feeling better about my life's choices.
But don't think I've forgotten, miss "licensed mental health counselor and trainer." Meet me here tomorrow, and we'll finish our business.

No comments: