Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The third quarter

There's been a lot of jubilation since the jobs numbers last weekend showed a loss of way less than predicted. That, plus the rallying stockmarket, has caused some people to wonder if the capital Great capital Recession is on its way out.
We can only pray so, though there are those who argue that we'll have another trough later on. It's early, yet, to get too happy while there are still plenty of people suffering.
Our own personal recession is now in its ninth month. So maybe it's time to reflect a little on the changes we've undergone since that first traumatic pay-cut news on Friday the 13th of last March.

Our finances--As the family's checkbook guru and resident worst-case-scenario imaginer, I was prostrate with worry when I heard the news of a 33 percent pay cut and cuts in benefits to part-time. Trust me, I didn't even want to get out of bed.
But so far, most of my biggest fears have not come true. We had to put a couple of college loans on deferment for a year, and that will be a problem if things haven't improved by April. But we have little other debt, can still make our house payments and buy groceries. We've foregone any birthday or anniversary presents for us adults, and we've had to dip into savings sometimes, for appliance or car emergencies. But not often.
To pay for bigger things--like registration, books and other fees for public high school, or a camping trip to Michigan--we've sold stuff. The lumber left from our home's previous owner. The boys' bunk beds. The old weight machine. There's not much left worth selling for next year, though.
We haven't been able to afford to contribute to our savings. So far, we're just happy to hold the line and keep our cushion from drifting completely away.

Career-wise--Make no mistake about it. This has been a painful, gray plod. But in one respect, it has been good for us. Our desire to have fun again, become upwardly mobile (and give our daughter a college education) has caused us to cast about for other ways to make money. In the process, we've both gained skills that will make us more salable once the job market improves. We have a vegetable gardening book we're proud of. We have improved our networks and our on-line skills. And I don't think any of this would have happened without the kick in the butt provided by the downsizing. Hopefully, we'll end up with more options once things start to recover.

Emotionally--There have been some ups and (horrific) downs. But on the whole, the downs are less frequent and not as bad as they were. I no longer stay awake for hours with worry, nor do I cry quietly into my ears during the meditation time at yoga. Possibly it's because I've accepted a depressing new "normal." But more likely, it's the feeling that we're beating them. By refusing to use the credit card, by keeping up the house payments, by refusing to buy crap "budget meals" at fast food places, we are beating all those hotshots on Wall Street who have come to think of American working people as stupid, weak, and not deserving of decent pay.
(Hey, I'll still admit to some anger issues.)

What's worked for me so far--Funny thing about the aforementioned downs. Usually, when I'm having one of my crappy-attitude headaches, I'll ask myself a question. "Did you exercise lately?" And know what? The answer is always "no." I hardly ever get depressed on a day that I've run, lifted weights or swam laps. Just sayin'.
As for all the New Agey stuff...Yeah, the laughing yoga and brain waves and affirmations help. A little. Maybe for a few hours.
But you can't argue with numbers. And by my scorecard, meditating on positive outcomes has the best results, hands down. In just a couple of short weeks doing this as I'm falling asleep, there have been four--or maybe five, depending on how you count--good things that have happened.
Coincidence? Probably. But you never know...

No comments: